This article explains how to modify your CrashPlan Pro backup set and settings.
The CrashPlan Pro backup client is configured with the recommended default backup settings. The standard backup set targets user profile only.1 Your backup set and settings can be modified quickly and easily from the client interface to meet your needs.
Managing your Backup
Backup settings can be modified from the Settings module of the CrashPlan Pro client application. The options are explained in detail below.
Files and folders to back up
Modify your backup set by checking and unchecking directories and files. To do this:
- Select the Change Selection button from the Backup tab2 in the Settings module.
- From the Change File Selection window, make the neccessary modifications to include or exclude files or folders in your backup3:
- Select the triangle to expand / collapse the view of specific directories to view the contents and review your backup selection.
- Check and uncheck the appropriate files or folders.
- Select the Save button.
Adding Backup Exclusions
Backup exclusions are specific file types that are designated to be excluded from the backup set. To review or modify your backup exclusion list:
- Select the Settings tab.
- Select the Configure button located next to the File patterns to exclude heading.
- Enter the file type to be excluded.4
- Select the + button.
- Repeat steps 3-4 if additional exclusions are necessary.
- Select OK to complete the changes when finished.
- Select Save.
CrashPlan Pro captures real-time backups, called versions. Backup versions are retained indefinitely. However, the quantity of versions retained is based upon the age of the backup. The client default settings for retention can be viewed in the table below.
| every minute|
| Last 90 days
|| every day|
| Last Years
|| every week|
| Previous years
|| every month|
Backup frequency and versioning settings
Backup frequency is set by default to capture a new version every minute.
Note: This setting is preconfigured so that up-to-date backups are captured frequently enough to provide the maximum benefit should file recovery be needed.
New version backup frequency can be decreased if preferred.
Versioning frequency and settings can customized by doing the following:
- Select the Configure button from the Backup tab located next to Backup frequency and versioning heading to review settings.
- Change frequency and version settings by sliding the meter to customize as needed.
- Select OK to save the changes.