Learn how to export your class roster and create an email Contact Group in Outlook.
Outlook Contact Groups
A Contact Group1 is a group of Contacts organized under one name. Messages sent to a Contact Group go to all recipients that are listed within the group. You can include Contact Groups in messages, task requests, meeting requests, and in other Contact Groups.
Copy Email Addressed from your Roster
- In your web browser, login to the Kellogg Student Rosters page.
- Select the term of your class (e.g. Winter 13).
- Select a course from the drop down menu, and ensure that the Class Roster option is selected for the report type. Click Submit. The class roster report will appear.
- Select the content for all numbered rows. To do this, click and hold to the left of number 1, drag down and to the right until you reach the end of the last email address, then let go. Hit CTRL-C to copy the text.
Prepare Email Addresses for Outlook
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- Click inside the first cell (A1), and hit CTRL-V to paste the class roster information.
- Find the column with the list of email addresses and click the column letter. This will select the entire column.
- Hit CTRL-H to open the Find and Replace window.
- In the Find text box, enter .edu
- In the Replace text box, enter .edu;
- Click Replace All.
- Click OK when complete and close the Find and Replace window.
- Now, right-click on the column letter that contains the email addresses and hit CTRL-C to copy.
Create an Outlook Contact group
- Open Outlook.
- Select the New Items button, then select More Items and click Contact Group.2
- In the Name field, enter a name for your list (e.g., ACCT-430-0 Section 41).
- Click the Add Members button and select From Outlook Contacts. The Select Members: Contacts window opens.
- At the bottom of the window, to the right of the Members button, click inside the field and hit CTRL-V. This will paste all of the student email addresses.
- Click OK to the close the window.
- Next, click Save and Close.
When creating email messages, you can input the name of the distribution list in the TO field to send a message to your entire class.