Create and share appointments for classes within Outlook.
These instructions will lead you through the process of creating a single file that contains Outlook appointments with information about every session of a course; including date, time, room number, and session topics from the syllabus. Students can download this file and quickly import an entire schedule for the class into their Outlook calendar.
Note: If course topics or homework assignments shift during the quarter, you will need to create a new file and share it with students, and ensure they delete the outdated appointment.
Creating the Appointment
- In Outlook, click on the arrow next to New, and select Appointment. A new window will open.
- In the "Subject" field, enter the course number; e.g., FINC 430.
- In the "Location" Field, type the class room number; e.g., G40
- In the Options group at the top of the window, click Recurrence . A window will appear.
- Enter the Start and End time.
- For a standard weekly class, ensure the Recurrence pattern is set to Weekly, and select class days (for instance, Monday and Thursday).
- Under "Range of recurrance", enter the Start and End Date of the class.
- Click OK to close the window.
- In the upper-left, click Save & Close.
Add Course Outline Information
NOTE: If you have multiple sections of the same class, with the same outline information, create appointments for each section first. This will allow you to quickly copy and paste course outline information from one to another.
- While viewing your Outlook Calendar, go to the first class date and double-click the appointment. When prompted select Open this occurrence, and click OK.
- Enter course outline information in the large, empty content area. For example, include topics of dicussion, required readings, homework assignments due, etc. 1
- In the "Subject" field, rename the subject to include an abbreviated (one line) list of assignments due for this date. For example, the subject might read: FINC 430: read ch 5, do exercise 7, hand-in case z.
- Click Save & Close.
- Repeat these steps for each class session.
Share the Schedule
- While viewing your calendar, double-click on any occurance of the appointment. When prompted, select Open the series, and click OK.
- Click on the circular Office button in the top-left corner of Outlook and select Save As.
- In the "File name" field, enter the course number and year; e.g., FINC430_2010.
- From the "Save as type" drop-down menu, select iCalendar Format.
- Make sure Save Selected Appointment is selected, and click Save.
- Email the file (or post it on BlackBoard 2) to share it with students in the class.
Importing the Course Schedule
After downloading the iCalendar file, students can add the course schedule to their Outlook calendars. To do so:
- In Outlook, click File > Open > Calendar. A window will open.
- Select the iCalendar (ics) file you downloaded, and click Open. The Appointment window will open.
- In the upper-left, click Save & Close. The course schedule is now added to your Outlook calendar.