The collaborative learning environment at Kellogg is built around Microsoft Exchange, the foundation of Kellogg communications. Exchange integrates with many other technologies at Kellogg that foster and promote collaboration including group room reservations, calendar synchronization, and Kellogg directories.
Plus, with Exchange and Outlook Web Access (OWA),1 you don’t have to carry your laptop wherever you go to check your email. With OWA, you can manage your email, calendars, and contacts on the Web from home, the coffee shop, a hotel—anywhere with an Internet connection. To access OWA, go to https://webmail.kellogg.northwestern.edu/ and enter your NetID and NetID password.
Storage Capacity & Email Limits
Kellogg Exchange accounts have the following capacity: 5GB for faculty and 3GB MB for students and staff. When you approach and exceed your storage capacity, Exchange will automatically send you notification messages.
- 87%: When you reach 87% of your quota, you will receive a daily warning message that you your mailbox is becoming full.
- 100%: If you reach your storage capacity, you will no longer be able to send email.
- 117%: If you exceed your storage by 17%, you will not be able to send OR receive email. Email sent to you will be bounced back to the sender.
Email Message Size Limits
The following limits apply to all messages sent from an Exchange account:
- 25 MB size limit: personal email and meeting requests (when you send/receive from other Kellogg personal email addresses)
- 200 External Recipients: email messages can be sent to a maximum of 200 external addresses. There is no limit on sending to other Kellogg Exchange accounts.
Note: The listserv system has more restrictive email size limits. Please see related articles for more information.
Determing your Email Message Size
- While composing the email message, click on the Office icon in the upper-left corner
- Select Properties
- The General tab will display as default, and will show total size of message including any attachments.
- If the Size says "Not yet saved", close the Properties window, save your email message by clicking the Office icon and then Save. Then Repeat Steps 1-3.
There is no definitive way to tell the email message size when composing a new message using Webmail. If you are sending an attachment, the attachment size will show up next to the attachment name in the email message. Your total email message size may only be slightly larger than the total of your attachments to the email message.
Entourage and Mail
- Save your email message
- Open your Drafts folder
- If Size is not one of the columns showing, enable this by right-clicking on any one of the column headings and choose Size.
- Your message draft size (including attachments will show)